OnTor is now three months old and the only ‘content to follow’ is my blog! Scary things, blogs – so much advice on what to do and what to avoid. So here goes … let me know what you think!
Let me tell you briefly about OnTor, my cycling start-up. OnTor began as an idea to collaborate with Milltag and co-design some really top cycling clobber inspired by Dartmoor and Devon, but it has become more than that.
I want ontor.cc to be the place to go for those who love cycling and love Dartmoor – where to ride and stop for cake, race reports and great pictures of the scenery! It is a part time venture as I have a full time job but it is a project that I am passionate about and maybe one day it will become more than just a past-time.
Here are a few things I’ve learned along the way:
• I bloody love Dartmoor and I bloody love cycling – OK I already knew that but it bears repeating!
• Dartmoor is arguably the best cycling destination in the country – great climbs, beautiful scenery, fantastic accommodation and without a doubt the best cake in the UK!
• Devon has a really strong cycling community – I have been to see some fantastic racing brilliantly organised and marshalled. In fact my first race report will be the Tavistock Wheelers Brentor Road Race this Sunday
• I am now a big fan of Elite Velo Kalas a women’s cycling team who often compete in Devon as well as Pedal Heaven who came down to the Totnes Vire in April and who are the up and coming team in British cycling. Charlie Meredith is a fantastic Devon prospect who writes a great blog about his fledgling cycling career.
• Social media is good fun. I never used to get Twitter and now I love it – am determined to get #moorcake and #paveanglais trending! And there are some great Dartmoor businesses out there helping each other.
• I’m really proud of the first exclusive OnTor/Milltag jerseys and I’ve had some great feedback from the people who are already sporting them around the UK. Quite a few are Devonians in exile!
That’s all for now folks! Before I finish up, I would be happy to hear your feedback – what would make the website better? Would you be interested in helping with content or articles? Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing from you.